September 15, 2011: Nearly 240,000 Teamsters work at UPS. Our votes can elect the next General President—but only if we’re organized.
The majority of Teamsters at UPS are voting for Sandy Pope. Half of UPS Teamsters voted for Sandy when she ran for the #2 spot in the last International Union election. Since then, her support has grown and Hoffa’s has plummeted.
It will take 150,000 votes to win this election. There are more Teamsters at UPS than that alone! But many Teamsters throw their vote away. An incredible 80 percent of Teamsters did not return their mail ballot in the last election.
UPS Teamsters can make the difference in the election. But we have to get out the vote.
Here are five things you can do to Get Out the Vote and help win this election.
- Spread the word with leaflets—especially the Sample Ballot. Leaflets on UPS issues can be downloaded at www.SandyPope2011.org including a special leaflet on part-timer issues.
Sample ballot leaflets are available too—and these are especially important. Sandy Pope is running as an Independent for General President. Any vote for a slate will cancel out the vote Sandy. Tell members: One Vote for Sandy Pope!
Bring a copy of your ballot to work and show members how to mark their ballot.
- Send Text Messages. Send a text message to everyone in your Center or hub to remind them to vote. And keep sending these messages to Get Out the Vote.
- Help Members Get Replacement Ballots. If a member doesn’t get a ballot, have them call (877) 317-2011 and request a replacement ballot. The best way to do this is to dial the number yourself on your cell phone and give it to the member to put in their replacement ballot request.
- Put Up Pole Stickers. Order Sandy Pope stickers and pole stickers and put them up outside your UPS building to keep up a constant campaign presence and remind members to vote. You can order your stickers at www.SandyPope2011.org or by calling 718-282-0282.
- Reach Out Beyond UPS. Spread the word to other Teamsters—at freight barns, grocery warehouses, soft drink companies and other Teamster employers near you. TDU can get you a list of Teamster worksites in your area.
UPS Teamsters can’t afford another five years of Hoffa. But change comes at a price. If we want to win this election, we’ve got to talk member to member and turn out every Teamster vote we can.