January 24, 2011: Under Hoffa, Teamster members have faced the worst benefit cuts in our union’s history.
Hoffa can’t run on his own pension record, so he’s trying to distort Sandy Pope’s.
Get the facts about Sandy Pope’s record on protecting Teamster pensions. Cut through the spin and decide for yourself.
- Sandy Pope is the only candidate for General President who has a proven record of reversing pension cuts.
- After the president of Sandy’s local sided with employers and cut members’ accrual to zero, Sandy teamed up with other members, ran for office and won. She filed a lawsuit against the employer trustees and won increases in members’ pension accrual.
- The Local 805 Pension Plan’s funding percentage is on the rise. The Plan is on the way to full funding over time.
- Like every Teamster plan the Local 805 Pension Fund took major losses in the stock market crash. The fund is currently in the Red Zone—but is on track to reach full funding over time.
- Sandy Pope has negotiated record increases in pension contributions to strengthen the Pension Fund and protect members’ benefits.
- In contract negotiations, Sandy Pope won a blank check that requires Local 805’s largest employer to pay whatever contributions are necessary to protect members’ benefits and keep the Pension Fund on the road to full funding.
“There is one candidate in this race who reversed Teamster Pension cuts—and that’s me. In this economy, Teamsters don’t expect pension miracles. They want and deserve a plan to rebuild our funds and protect our retirement security.”