November 20, 2012: Concerned UPS Freight Teamsters have been working with TDU for some time to focus on what members need with our next contract. It's clear that the IBT listened when it came to putting the package of proposals together to bargain with UPS Freight management.
Here are some of the key issues we discussed and what the IBT presented to the company.
- 1. Eliminate contractors taking Teamsters' work. No contractors to be allowed if any full-timer or casual is on layoff status.
The IBT proposal is to eliminate paragraph 2 of Article 44.
- 2. Protect job bid start times. If the company needs to change a job bid start time, they must offer a re-bid of job if current holder wishes to bump off job bid.
The IBT proposal is to reduce the number of times the company can cancel/move a bid from 50% in 60 days, to 6 times in 30 days.
- 3. We need a trigger or hours formula for lay off recall rights. This is a must have, to protect full time job bids.
The IBT has proposals for both layoff and recall triggers.
- 4. Eliminate the 10% rule for job bids. All full timers shall be guaranteed an 8 hour day of pay.
The IBT has a proposal to make all job bids guaranteed.
- 5. Increase sick days to be used at employee's discretion. Allow Teamsters to bank unused sick days.
The IBT has a proposal to bank unused sick days.
- 6. Adopt language from the UPS "brown" contract that curtails excessive overtime.
The IBT has a proposal to limit forced OT.
- 7. Increase the number of full time jobs.
The IBT has a proposal to increase full time jobs based on the hours worked by a casual in 30 days in a 60 day period. Also if two casuals are book-ended on 2 continuous 4 hour shifts for 30 days in a 60 day period.