Teamsters for a Democratic Union (TDU) is a grassroots movement of Teamster members that organizes to rebuild union power from the bottom up. Members have just elected the militant, insurgent Teamsters United Slate to lead the International Union. TDU worked to elect Teamsters United and years of grassroots organizing by our movement paved the path to this victory. The election opens new opportunities for the Teamsters and the labor movement.
Our movement is on the rise and TDU is looking to scale up. We are seeking an experienced, committed organizer for upcoming campaigns.
We are organizing to help reformers run for local office; recruiting and training member organizers; holding educational workshops; building our Black, Latino and Women's Caucuses; and mobilizing for the 2023 UPS contract campaign, including building a possible strike. The UPS contract is the largest private sector contract in the U.S. and covers 350,000 workers.
This is a full-time position out of our New York City or Detroit office. Exceptionally well qualified candidates may be considered for remote work.
- Develop activist leaders, build grassroots organization, help reformers run for local union office, and spread the reform movement.
- Organize TDU meetings, educational workshops and trainings (virtual and in-person), regional TDU conferences and the national TDU Convention.
- Work with member leaders to develop and organize TDU Caucuses (Black Caucus & Latino Caucus).
- Work on TDU organizing campaigns, including the 2023 UPS Contract Campaign.
- Previous organizing experience.
- Commitment to building a progressive labor movement.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Strong computer skills. (Desktop publishing, website management and digital organizing skills a plus.)
- Willingness to work hard in a cooperative style. Some weekend work and travel comes with the job.
- Ability to organize with workers from a variety of backgrounds and experiences.
- Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.
- Salary commensurate with experience, ranging $55,000-60,000/year.
- Health insurance.
- Generous paid vacation.